So much of everyday functioning relies on people choosing safe and effective responses to the many social cues in social situations and interactions. For non-autistic, ‘typical’ people, reading these social cues comes instantly and accurately without effort. For those on the autism spectrum, who perceive and interpret these cues differently, making sense of the social world can be a lifelong struggle.
But it need not be. If this missing social information is shared in a respectful, safe and accessible way, life for the child or adult can become much more predictable, clear and comfortable.
There are lots of ways to share social information including the use of visual timetables, Comic Strip Conversation and Social StoriesTM.
This website is about guiding those who care for, love or work alongside autistic people to a better understanding of their alternative perspective, and providing ways of sharing missing social information to make the social world a more autism friendly place.
Find out more by:
- Booking me to deliver or attending a talk, training or a workshop
- Reading the books in the ‘Growing Up with Social Stories’ series
- Following the blog
Take a look at our latest post
- How can parents help prepare their autistic children for school return?Continual Uncertainty As a population we are all feeling anxious as we cope with continual uncertainty. We are in fact experiencing a taste of life on the autism spectrum, where uncertainty and unpredictability rules the day, with all …
- Learning to wash hands again, carefullyAdults teach young children the basic hygiene rules of washing hands from a very young age. We wash hands when they are dirty, before eating, and after using the toilet. We teach our children a reasonably thorough method …
- A few thoughts on Corona Virus.Children are watching and listening to daily news reports and hearing frightening information. Everyone is rightly anxious at the moment but in our children this anxiety can spiral and become a huge problem. Adults are talking openly on …
- Welcome to the first post in ‘Thoughts and News’I plan to use this space to post news of upcoming events and also from time to time to share ideas or Social Stories™ that I believe may be helpful…… Now that the new school year is well …
If you wish me to deliver training or speak to your organisation please contact me for further details.